GREEK GODS: ABB FILLS HILLS WITH SOUND OF MUSIC!

5/21/09 I was still coming down from Tuesday night's Chickenfoot show when I had to shift into a higher gear to catch The Allman Brothers Band and The Doobie Brothers at the Greek Theatre. ALL of this great music just in time for the loooooooong Memorial Day weekend, kicked off with a San Francisco road trip with my sister Connie and my daughter, Aly!! Congrats Aly: she just wrapped her first year at San Francisco State!!!

So, last night's ABB set was spectacular as usual, with some very special moments sprinkled in. But perhaps the most special moment for me was seeing my daughter, Angela, on stage rocking out to ABB!! I'm a VERY proud papa, and I have two very beautiful and talented daughters!

It was so great to hang with Davy Knowles again last night. He's going to come over to my place one day and I'm gonna break out a ton of great vinyl albums and take him back to school, musically speaking! What a cool guy. Also beautiful to be with my friend Maria Laing, and to see Laurie Nickoloff after so many years, and to spend more time with my new friend Holly Hall and her man! A fun time was hand by all. Finally, it was wonderful to be able to hang out with my old friend, Warren Haynes, and his wife Stef, after the show. Warren is the most amazingly beautiful human being, and one of the most talented guitar players in the world….a GREAT combination in my book!! Safe travels, my brother! Here then, is my review of last night's gig:

GREEK GODS: ABB FILLS HILLS WITH SOUND OF MUSIC!

The spectacularly beautiful Greek Theatre in the hills overlooking Los Angeles last night shared an abundance of "brotherly" love, presenting a double bill from the Gods: The Allman Brothers Band and The Doobie Brothers. The Doobies warmed up the audience with a long train of historic hits, including "Long Train Runnin,'" "Listen To the Music," "China Grove," ""Black Water," and "Rockin' Down the Highway," before their brothers from other mothers, ABB took the stage. Led by Gregg Allman's always tasty Hammond B-3 and classic gravely voice, ABB kept the party going with a variety of numbers such as "No One To Run With" off 2004's Where It All Begins to a sweet and sensitive delivery of "Melissa." A moving guest appearance by Ziggy Marley saw the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers back Ziggy on his father's "I Shot the Sheriff." The Brothers welcomed blues sister Susan Tedeschi for a tune or two as well, and the Conan O'Brien band's horn section filled out the sound on several songs as well. As always, the duel guitar engine of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks traded licks and leads throughout the night, much to the delight of the L.A. crowd hungry to hear long jams like "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed." The Brothers Allman and Doobie continue their tour Friday in Valley Center, CA, and Saturday in Indio, CA. Visit www.allmanbrothersband.com for more dates, and be sure to register at www.moogis.com to view shows on the band's 40th anniversary run.

No comments: